I bought a beautiful butternut squash at the farmers market. It’s a little baby of a squash, just one pound. I love to try butternut squash in a variety of ways. Try this spiced, sweet version with creamy and salty goat cheese. Vegans…worry not, I’ll include adjustments to fit your diets.
- ½ tsp ground cardamom
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ – ½ tsp salt (according to taste)
- 1 ½ T olive oil
- 1 lb (little) butternut squash, peeled, and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 Tbsp pure, organic honey (agave syrup for vegan)
- 1 Tbsp water
- Dash pepper
- 2 handfuls raw, unsalted walnut halves, roughly chopped
- 3 Tbsp goat cheese (omit for vegan)
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees F. While oven is preheating, prepare the butternut squash.
- Place butternut squash cubes in a single layer on a baking sheet. Mix together cardamom, cinnamon, ginger and salt. Slowly add olive oil and whisk together. Pour over squash and use your hands to make sure it’s all covered.
- Put in oven for 10 mins. In the meantime, prepare the syrup.
- Combine honey or agave, water, and pepper. Whisk together. Chop walnuts.
- When squash has cooked for 10 mins., open oven door and poor syrup over squash. Sprinkle on the walnuts and mix all together. Return to oven for 10 more minutes.
- When squash is cooked through, soft, and caramelized, remove from oven let cool slightly. Put in serving dish and sprinkle on goat cheese (optional).
Serve warm. This recipe should feed 3-4 as a side dish.
Please enjoy this, and my other recipes.