Yes, butternut squash soup is generally orange in color, but that’s not what I’m taking about. With the addition of fresh, sweet-tart orange juice and a pinch of cayenne pepper, the humble butternut squash that I bought in abundance at the farmers market is transformed into a light and tongue tickling treat. I’ve brought the recipe down to the essentials, so you’ll find this soup to be light and clean in flavor…all with only 5 ingredients! (The count does not include spices or seasonings that would be found in a well stocked pantry.) Please try this as it will change your outlook on squash soup forever.
- 12 – 16 oz. butternut squash, peeled and cut into approx. 1 inch cubes
- 1/2 of an apple (I used Honey Crisp and it was delicious), peeled and cut into approx. 1 inch cubes
- 1/2 large sweet onion (almost softball size…yes, that big)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 4 cups vegetable stock (organic if possible)
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg (a good pinch)
- 1/8 tsp cayenne (a good pinch)
- 1 large orange, zest and juice
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat large pot on medium high heat, then add olive oil. Add onion and cook until softened and starting to brown. Add butternut squash and apples and allow to brown slightly. Finally, add the 1/4 salt and 1/8 tsp pepper.
- Measure 4 cups of veggie stock into pot. Scrape the bottom to loosen the bits stuck to the bottom. Add nutmeg, cayenne pepper, a generous pinch of salt, and few grinds of pepper. Allow mixture to come to a boil, then turn down to medium heat and allow to simmer until onion, squash, and apple are soft. (Approx. 10 mins)
- Turn off heat. Add the zest of the large orange and all the juice. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired.
- Allow to cool before beginning to puree so as not to burn yourself. You can use an immersion blender or an actual blender.
- Toasted Pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- Crushed cocoa nibs
- Chopped, fresh mint
I could eat this soup everyday, and since it makes 12 one-half cup servings, I do eat it for quite some time with my meals. I hope you enjoy it.
WW Points: 1