Leave the kidney beans and come to the dark side. Black beans, the deep flavor of cocoa, and an undercurrent of paprika will delight your taste buds. I decided that chili would be good on Saturday night, so I needed something quick that I could make with ingredients I had in the house so we could eat it for dinner on Sunday. I’m still trying to convince the kids of the merits of beans in their chili, but if there is a recipe that could convince them, I think this is it.
The recipe serves 4-6.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- small can chopped jalapeños (mild, medium, or hot – depending on taste — I only had hot but I wanted the kids to eat the chili so I only put in a Tbsp.)
- 2 Tbsp chili powder (ancho chili powder if you can find it)
- 2 Tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 Tbsp ground cocoa nibs (or 1 1/2 Tbsp of unprocessed cocoa powder)
- 2 tsp brown sugar (or 1 tsp stevia)
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- Pinch cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 (35 oz) can crushed tomotoes (organic or natural)
- 1 (13 oz) can beef broth
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans
- 2 Tbsp seasoned salt (I like Tastefully Simple’s) – use to season throughout the process as suggested throughout instructions
- Pepper or hot pepper sauce to taste (I did not include because the kids were eating this)
- Topping ideas: queso fresca, chopped green onions, shredded cheese, sour cream
- Heat a large pot and add olive oil. Add the onions and garlic and saute until soft (about 5 mins).
- Add ground beef and break up as it cooks to make sure it’s completely browned. Season with some of the seasoned salt.
- When meat is browned, add the chopped peppers (adjust as little or as much heat as you want for your diner’s tastes). Cook until peppers are cooked through.
- Add chili powder, cumin, paprika, cocoa, sugar, oregano, and cinnamon. Cook together for about 1 minute. Stir in tomato paste.
- Pour in crushed tomato and beef broth then season with some more of the seasoned salt.
- Cook, covered, on medium for 20 mins for ingredients to cook together.
- Rinse black beans and season with remaining seasoned salt. Add to the pot and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes.
- Top with condiments of choice and serve hot!