I wanted to make latkes but I hadn’t looked at any recipes or anything. Shouldn’t be too hard, right? Well, I didn’t have potatoes, but I had a sweet potato. I didn’t have a sweet onion and I didn’t want to use the sharp one I did have. Well, I’d just do what the The Minimalist from the NY Times does and break things down to the bare essentials. The recipe was a smash hit! I pan fried them, but if you want a healthier version you can try baking them.
- Two huge, honking, sweet potatoes, washed and shredded
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 Tbsp Seasoned Salt (I like Tastefully Simple’s)
- 6-8 shakes of hot pepper sauce (It won’t be too spicy, but if you’re worried, hold back or leave it out.)
- Olive oil
- sour cream
- Put shredded potatoes in a bowl. Heat fry pan on medium.
- Lightly beat the eggs, seasoned salt, and hot pepper sauce.
- Add egg mixture and flour to the sweet potatoes and mix with a fork until evenly distributed.
- Add oil to pan until it coats the bottom + 1/4 inch. When pan is hot, put 1/4 c. of latke mixture in pan and flatten to a thin pancake. Don’t overcrowd the pan.
- When golden brown on one side, flip and cook until golden brown on the other. You don’t want the pan to be too hot or the outside will brown and the inside will be raw. Remove to paper towel lined plate to catch any excess oil.
- Cook in batches, adding olive oil as needed.
- When cooked, sprinkle lightly with salt and serve with a dollop of sour cream.
The house smelled wonderful while making this treat. I hope you enjoy it.