I can’t believe I was craving a casserole type of thing. But it happened. I wanted something warm and comforting and cooked together in a crock pot. Rice has always comforted me and I started to think. What if I could have a Spanish style stuffed pepper without having to stuff the pepper? Enter this delicious recipe. Now, I must tell you that I normally don’t like to eat leftovers day after day. I think when my husband tried to take one of the measured portions of this dish for his lunch I popped a vein. Bad girl, my mom would say, didn’t I teach you how to share? Make and share this dish with people around you and they’ll love you for it. The recipe makes 6 servings after all.
Yes, mom, I did share..though not as willingly as I should have.
- 1/2 cup Vadalia onion, small dice
- 1 large yellow pepper, small dice
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 lb raw, extra lean ground beef
- 2 Tbsp Salsa seasoning (I like Tastefully Simple’s all natural version) – Taco Seasoning will work too.
- 1/2 Tbsp seasoned salt (Big surprise, I like Tastefully Simple’s version)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 canned Jalapeno or chopped fresh. (If you want more heat, add more pepper.)
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 3/4 cup canned, organic, tomato sauce
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 2 cups water
- Tortilla chips, crushed, for topping
- Add oil to hot pan and saute onions and yellow pepper.
- Add ground beef and cook until no pink remains.
- Add spices and seasonings and cooking until fragrant (about 1 min.)
- Put everything in a crock pot, stir, and cook on high for 3-4 hours.
Beef and Veggie Spanish Style Rice calculates to 8 PointsPlus (TM). It’s worth every point as the dish tastes better the next day, and the day after…and the day after…