Warm, spicy nuts–I love them…crave them even. So do you, just admit it. Who has time to babysit an appetizer that’s so quick to burn in the oven, though? This version of spiced mix nuts tastes best just a few minutes after cooling from the crock pot. Bring them as hostess gifts or for your next potluck and all your guests will crave warm, spicy nuts for days. Yes, yes, I get the double entendre – now let’s move on.
Ingredients: (This makes a batch for a party. Cut in half for a smaller group.)
- 4 Tbsp butter, melted (no, these aren’t good for you, but you’re not eating the whole batch either…)
- 1/2 Tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp garam masala
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/2 tsp seasoned salt
- 2 large pinches of Stevia, or a Tbsp of Agave syrup
- 2 lbs fancy, mixed nuts, raw and unsalted. (I like a combo of almonds, hazelnuts, and cashews.)
- Mix everything together in the slow cooker. Stir to coat thoroughly.
- Cover and cook on low for 2-3 hours.
- Turn to high, uncover, and cook another 1-1 1/2 hours.
- Serve warm or cold as a snack.
This recipe makes about 6 cups of nuts. Perfect for gift giving.
- I ran out of cumin (gasp!) right before a fondue party, so I substituted chili powder for the cumin and omitted the turmeric.
- Once cooled, stir in some unsweetened, dried blueberries or cranberries.
- Try stirring in some semi-sweet chocolate chips.